Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Un Bonne Nuit For Me Please!


My boy is winging his way over to Germany right this minute for his junior year of college.  The online plane tracker tells me he has crossed over Nova Scotia and is over the open sea!  So, I'm settling in to blog work until I hear that his feet have landed on solid ground.  Then he has all sorts of details to take care of:  money exchange, train ticket, luggage, and a trip by train to his university's town.  

The university provides the students studio flats, and there are university cafes here and there where the they can eat at a discount.  Two girls at his US college just returned from the spring semester in the same program - which ends in July, actually, and one has sold him her bike she left in a locker there, so he will have some manual transportation anyway. 



We are very excited for him, but a bit sad to have him so far away!  We'll miss a 21st birthday and the Christmas holidays, but he will come home on his spring break for a bit and then go back to finish up the year.   
.
.
So, I am hoping for a Bonne Nuit and good sleep tonight after I hear from him.  That's my segue into:  Look at the embroidered pillow cover I made after seeing a similar one in the Pottery Barn catalog.  This font is my favorite; it's so pretty and modernly classic.  I'm putting it the college-savings and Germany student spending account shop at "the handmade fair."   

My calicodaisy handmade design work is coming along very nicely with a lot of local and custom orders, and I'm getting ready for the fall/holiday bazaar time right now.  I don't love all the craziness leading up to shows, but it's the time of year I meet new customers and catch up with returning ones. 

pottery barn embroidered pillow cover

6 comments:

Finding Pam said...

He is so cute. Is that his girlfriend? I know you can't wait to hear from him. I think it will be awesome for him. What is he studying?

Let us know when he has landed.

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope he has a great time! I need to get my Christmas orders into you!

Chris Worthy said...

I've been out of town and out of touch! I trust he arrived safely and all is well. What a wonderful opportunity! I know you miss him but I am so glad that he was able to go back and have this experience. (Remind me I said that when Caroline gets a chance to study abroad...)

Ravenhill said...

Oh, how exciting for you all. I hope that he will have a wonderful time and learn so much. Going abroad is a wonderful experience in my opinion. I am sure you will miss him. Luckily it is inexpensive to call internationally now. It cost a fortune when I first came to Norway and I really missed my family and friends when I couldn't talk with them.

I love everything you have been making! I hope you will have a good fall season but that it won't be too hectic.
hugs from emily xo

The Paisley Studio/Sarah McNamara said...

My daughter spent part of her junior year in Florence. My best advice to you: go visit him! It is a wonderful thing to have your child be your tour guide. How great that you can give him this experience. Travel really broadens our horizons.

Hope both you and your son have settled into the new routine.

Sarah

The Paisley Studio/Sarah McNamara said...

My daughter spent part of her junior year in Florence. My best advice to you: go visit him! It is a wonderful thing when your child becomes your tour guide. How great that you could give him this experience. Travel truly broadens our horizons.

Hope both you and your son have settled into the new routine.

Sarah