Saturday, October 10, 2009

The First Shark Bit It ....

.
... and the second one leaked out! After being in iron hell for months, I bought the Shark Pro Iron in August. 1500 Watts of hot, steamy joy. This deceiving beauty sliced through the wrinkles like soft butter on hot bread! Until Wednesday night. The Shark just shut down and died. I ran around plugging it into other outlets hoping that it wasn't so, but, alas, the Shark was dead. So, I took it back to Kohl's and traded it out for another one. Surely, it was a fluke.


.
Not so! Back at home, I plugged the new one in, heated it up, and got back to ironing out these patchwork camera strap cozy covers. At first, all was well, and then, dreaded thing, it started to leak out. Drops here and there, and then a full-fledged loss of control pouring out all over the sewing room floor! Now, I'm just MAD!

.
A Rowenta lives here now -- on trial, to be sure. This one with all its German- made glory and 1600 Watts of heat. We'll see. I'm skeptical and still pretty irritated about the whole thing and haven't turned it on yet. In this day and age, how hard is it to create a small appliance that stays heated and is sealed well enough to keep the water in and the steam blowing? Irons have been around for so long, it isn't rocket science, is it?
..

.
Meanwhile, I want to be young-ER and having babies again, so I can sew all these darling things for my children to wear! My son would have been quite the adventurer in this reversible earflap hat, and my daughter would be the cutest in everything appliqued and monogrammed! I had my same sewing skills 19+ years ago when we started our family and I did sew jumpers and john-johns and dresses and nursery decor, but all that was straight out of the fabric shop pattern books. All the dreaming I did over Hanna Andersson catalogs and shopping at Gymboree... I would be a very cool mom right now due to blogging and the awesome home equipment I have. However, "45" arrives in a couple of weeks, and I need progressive lenses ........

8 comments:

Jan Pope said...

Keep the Rowenta and never, never, ever buy any Shark or Euro-pro stuff again! My Rowenta is about 5 years old now and going strong. I use it all the time.

Diann said...

I had a shark experience that was very similar! Thought I had the best iron ever at first...not so! My elderly B&D is doing the job now. Trying a Rowenta next.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

The good old iron story, I just buy a sunbean and it lasts about 2-3 years and then I buy another. I tried the very expensive Rowenta and it leaked within the first month. Now I just buy what is on sale! I also love B & D!

Jean said...

I had a Rowenta last about 8-9 years! I replaced it year b/4 last and just love it! I always wait for a sale if I have to have an iron anyway... couldn't help but be happy... I bought a $120 for $60!
I used to iron for people and irons died on me left and right! I used a B & D for years... and the warrenty on them aren't too bad!

Jean said...

Oh... I forgot to say... that most irons I use since we have "extremely hard water" we use distilled water. Then one day... I actually read the instruction book... it said that even if you have hard water... use half tap/ half distilled!

Ravenhill said...

I am so sorry to hear of your tale of woe with your irons! I am surprised. It seems like such a simple peice of equiptment and I wouldn't think it would be so easily faulty! I hope your latest will be true to you! The ear-flap hat is so cute!!! And the camera straps are so great! You sure are busy making wonderful things and always something new!
~Emily

Abby and Stephanie said...

Oh darn!

Nanette Merrill said...

You know you are about the 5th quilter to have this story. This shark is not a good iron. I've been a Rowenta fan for years. Hope to stay that way.