Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mish's Cheezy Green Bean Casserole!


.
I wanted to share some of our favorite Thanksgiving/Christmas recipes with you this month, and now we are nigh on the big day!  I'm working today (yay!) and have to log in soon, so this is a quickie!  I hope you enjoy the recipe; it is SOOOO GOOOODDDD!  It's not your grandmamma's green bean casserole, that's for sure! 

(Disclaimer:  The photo above is actually a photo of my recipe for Auntie Lynda's Comfort Chicken Casserole that I sent to Lollychops earlier this year.  However, the two casseroles actually look the same before breaking into due to the crushed Ritz cracker and butter topping, and I wanted to have a visual for you!  The photo was mine but enhanced by LC with my name on the side.) 

Mish's Cheezy Green Bean Casserole

4 large cans (~29 ounces) of green beans, drained   

1 Family Size can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom

1 (10.75) ounce can of Cream of Celery

2 (16 ounce) tubs of Sour Cream (Use brand name sour cream to ensure good taste.) 

1 block of Velveeta Cheese

4 sleeves of Ritz Crackers 

3 sticks of butter 

Salt, pepper, garlic -- shake, shake, shake to season well. 

Oven to 350 degrees.  Have two 10 x 13 casserole dishes ready. 

In large bowl, combine Cream of Mushroom soup, Cream of Celery soup, and both tubs of sour cream.  Drain all four cans of green beans and discard liquid.  Mix in all the green beans to the soup and sour cream mix.  Season well with the salt, pepper, garlic.  Pour half of the recipe into each casserole pan. 

Place medium sauce pan on burner and turn to low heat to melt all three sticks of butter. 

While the butter is melting, cut the Velveeta into cubes.  I usually start with about four to five half-inch slices of the cheese and then cube.  Cube more as needed.  Just poke the cubes into the casseroles.  I generally put them in rows about an inch apart all throughout the pan.  The melted Velveeta is the best part to me, and I like to make it cheesy. 

Next, crush the four sleeves of Ritz crackers.  I used to put them in a zip-lock bag and crush, but my husband showed me a better way.  Over the saucepan of melted butter (so you don't make a big mess) hold the bag end to end in your hands and squeeze hard.  This instantly begins the crushing.  Generally, the paper pops and crumbs start coming out, so direct those into the pan.  Squish the bags until the crackers are all finely crushed and pour into the melted butter.  With a fork, toss the crumbs and butter together for a lush topping.  Spread the topping generously over the two casseroles. 

Bake in a preheated, 350-degree oven for about 45 minutes.  Enjoy! 

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Can't wait to try the bean casserole.

The Blonde Duck said...

That sounds so good!! Yum!!! I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!

Nanette Merrill said...

holy cow 3 sticks of butter, omigosh. I was counting up the sticks of butter used in Thanksgiving and it was amazing. Yikes. This looks so good.