Monday, August 25, 2008
A Spring Chicken Set
When I bought this spring chicken fabric, I had no idea what I would do with it, but I loved that the chicken drawings were "dressed" in the black and white polka dots that match my black and white polka dot fabric. One friend ordered an apron made from the chicken fabric, but I didn't think anyone would look good with chickens all over, so I fashioned a new pattern of a simple chef apron and added a sort of swingy ruffle at the bottom - not fussy but just enough to add a little glam. I embroidered this darling spring chicken at the bodice to top it off.
My friend also wanted some potholders to match. I was glad to have the chance to make some, however, I'm not good at them yet. I haven't figured out how to make nice corners and then slip the thinsulate inside for a quick job of it. I made two that look awful. So, I "quilted" the third, as above, and then edged around the potholder with double-fold bias tape and had to hand sew the other side of the tape down. So, two hours later ... I just don't have time to make the rest. I sent her the pretty quilted one and stopped there.
I have packaged the rest of the embroidered squares, backing fabric, border strips, bias tape, and thinsulate together into two KITS. Each kit includes enough fabric and thinsulate to make TWO potholders. Please check out the calicodaisy shop if you would like to make some for your kitchen.