Thursday, October 2, 2008

October - My Favorite Month!

autumn tree

Especially on a day like today when the weather is cool, humidity free (good hair day!), and the sky is such a gorgeous blue creating the perfect backdrop for the green and colorful leaves. September was a warm month this year, and the trees haven't begun to change yet in my part of the state.



Photo from here.
.
October is also my birthday month, not that I'm so excited about that anymore after turning 39 (a few years ago). On my birthday this year, though, I'm flying out to Houston to go to the International Quilt Festival! I've been wanting to go for a few years but haven't been able to get away. This year, all is well, the plane fare is reasonable, and a college friend invited me to stay with her. I'm pretty excited to take a little trip, visit, see all the fabrics and designers we read about, and hopefully meet up with a few of my blog friends. Please let me know if you are going to be there, too. Maybe we can meet up.

Owl Applique Reversible Pinafore

Didn't this turn out darling? When my friend saw the owl applique I put on an apron a couple of months ago, she called and requested one appliqued on a top for her daughter. Since I had to hand it over right as I finished up the hand sewing this morning, I just got a couple of not so great photos. I'm anxious to see pictures of the little one dressed up in it with a turtleneck and jeans.


Last weekend, we went to Parents' Weekend at my son's university. We had such a big time. The university did a great job with parties, food, seminars, activities. We were wiped out by Sunday. Above is a picture of the kids doing the "take-your-own-photo" poses.

8 comments:

jacquie said...

oooh you're going to houston...how fun! i'm excited for you.

oliver rain said...

I love the owl applique. Have a great weekend.

The Blonde Duck said...

Those aprons are so cute! I hope you have a fun weekend! When's your b-day? My sister's is the 7th

Nanette Merrill said...

The applique is so cute. I love the owls. I am so jealous you are going to quilt market. I want a full report from you! I've decided to make you pick out my machine embroidery. I seriously cannot decide. I am maybe way too indecisive.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! It's my month too.
Have fun in Houston!
Those owls are adorable.

Unknown said...

How fun it all sounds! The weekend at school sounds like such a blast! Your children have grown lately! They look so happy and beautiful!

What adorable aprons! You are always coming up with something new....

~Emily xx

Chris Worthy said...

Happy Birthday! Can't wait for a report from the quilt show -- how wonderful that you get to go. Take LOTS of pictures.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Great embroideries! How I long to go to Houston...one day. Happy October Birthday!