Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Piece of Fabric History

True Up just posted and wrote about The Fabric Place in Framingham, MA, closing after 62 years! It was started by two sisters after WWII. Wow! What makes it special to me is I purchased the material, lace, and pearl beads for my wedding dress there when I lived in Boston in 1988 and was preparing for my wedding. You can see my dress here on my anniversary post. Fabric stores were few and far between when I lived in the Boston area, so that was the place to go. At the time, I was new and alone in Boston, it was cold, I didn't have any friends yet, Michael and I were planning the wedding alone, and I HAD TO WORK WHEN IT SNOWED! (not in the South, y'all know, you stay home nice and cozy and safe!), so I was pretty nervous and worried about managing it all alone. The ladies there were so helpful.
.
I can't figure out how to link the video, but go to True Up and check out the video and story there. You'll want to put her on your google reader anyway to keep up with what's going on in fabric land. She does a great job and has lots of good information.

2 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Awww! That's such a cool story. I can't imagine planning my wedding alone in the snow. How brave you were!

Nanette Merrill said...

It is beautiful. Did you make your own dress? It really is very special. Sad they are closing.