Monday, June 15, 2009

In The Spirit of Being Green

Country Stripe Lunch Napkins

I wouldn't call myself completely eco-friendly, although I have generally practiced recycling and reusing items since running my own household.

Last week, I made a sets of reversible lunch-size napkins. Better for us than the big 15"-18" size, these 12" squares are perfect to fit in a basket at the end of the buffet for a quick grab. I just have to train everyone to go there now and not grab a paper towel. I'm thinking of reusable paper towels, too. Maybe make one of those fabric bag tubes that one stuffs with plastic bags but fill it with serged squares of absorbent fabric. I think it would work if I could place it prettily in the normal location of the paper towel holder.
.


On Saturday, my friend gave her DIL a baby shower. I haven't been to one in a while, and it was fun to visit with everyone, catch up, and see all the great new baby products out there. Of course, I had a big time making items for a real baby rather than for hopeful ones whose moms might shop at calicodaisy. I enjoyed watching the reaction of the younger ladies checking out the items I made for the baby. See the pretty mom-to-be displaying a monogrammed onesie. No name for the new baby yet, so B for the family name.

Reusable Personalized Gift Bag

When thinking about wrapping it all up, I didn't really want to tissue wrap everything and I didn't want to run out and get baby wrapping paper. I saw my stack of canvas totes I have on the ready and decided to personalized a gift bag.

DSCF6042

It occurred to me that I could have ready-to-ship gift bags/totes with generic sayings that could be passed along from gift recipient to gift recipient, or folks could order personalized, and the bag can be reused for nearly any purpose.

Today is a quiet one, like the weekend. Nice for me. I've been working all morning at my desk, and next my daughter and I are going out for a little shopping. I hope it's little, anyway! I really want to catch a matinee and see "The Proposal." I love Sandra Bullock films.

5 comments:

trash said...

I love the idea of personalised gift bags and totes!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love the tote. And I'm a Sandra fan too!

ko said...

I want an "O" baby boy onsie......are those in your shop? your stuff is PRECIOUS

Nanette Merrill said...

Aw what a nice day. Working and then a treat of a movie with your daughter! I love that. The tote is super darling. The napkins a great idea.

Chara Michele said...

I love the tote & the napkins! :)